Oregon State Bar
Statement of Professionalism
As lawyers, we belong to a profession that serves our clients and the public good. As officers of the court, we aspire to a professional standard of conduct that goes beyond merely complying with the ethical rules. Professionalism is the courage to care about and act for the benefit of our clients, our peers, our careers, and the public good.
Because we are committed to professionalism, we will conduct ourselves in a way consistent with the following principles in dealing with our clients, opposing parties, opposing counsel, the courts, and the public.
- We will promote the integrity of the profession and the legal system.
- We will work to ensure access to justice for all segments of society.
- We will avoid all forms of unlawful or unethical discrimination.
- We will protect and improve the image of the legal profession in the eyes of the public.
- We will promote respect for the courts.
- We will support the education of the public about the legal system.
- We will work to achieve our clients' goals, while at the same time maintaining our professional ability to give independent legal advice to our clients.
- We will always advise our clients of the costs and potential benefits or risks of any considered legal position or course of action.
- We will communicate fully and openly with our clients, and use written fee agreements with our clients.
- We will not employ tactics that are intended to delay, harass, or drain the financial resources of any party.
- We will always be prepared for any proceeding in which we are representing our clients.
- We will be courteous and respectful to our clients, to adverse litigants and adverse counsel, and to the court.
- We will only pursue positions and litigation that have merit.
- We will explore all legitimate methods and opportunities to resolve disputes at every stage in our representation of our clients.
- We will support pro bono activities.
Adopted by the Oregon State Bar House of Delegates
and Approved by the Supreme Court of Oregon effective November 16, 2006
Oregon State Bar
16037 SW Upper Boones Ferry Road
PO Box 231935
Tigard, OR 97281-1935
(503) 620-0222 or toll-free in Oregon (800) 452-8260